NCSS Resolution Writing
Resolutions Writing 101
"All about NCSS Resolutions: A Crash Course in Writing, Crafting, and Submitting Resolutions to HOD"
Presented by Cheryl Rehome, 2013 NCSS HOD Resolutions Committee Chair and Brad Burenheide, 2011 NCSS HOD Resolutions Committee Chair.
What makes a good NCSS Resolution?
- Provide direction to NCSS Board of Directors for current and future work of NCSS
- Create a forum to express ideas, recommendations, issues and concerns relevant to NCSS and its work to promote quality teaching & learning of social studies
- Consideration should be given to the existing goals and actions of NCSS
Questions to Consider when picking your Resolution Topics?
Consider NCSS: Advocacy and Visibility; Education and Knowledge; Membership; Engaged Citizenry; Social Studies ExcellenceReference the NCSS Strategic Plan: NCSS_Strategic_Plan_Overview.doc
- What issues are impacting Social Studies educators at the local and/or state level?
- What are the current and future goals of NCSS?
- What recommendations can be offered to support the organization/membership?
- How can the actions of NCSS improve the teaching and learning of social studies?
- Are there issues in my state or special interest group that are not represented?
- Are there issues that NCSS is not effectively addressing that need more or modified action?
- What do my constituents (affiliated council, associated group, or community members, etc.) feel is important to social studies education?
Questions to consider when Crafting Resolutions?
(Rationale & Statement of Action, Statement relating to goals & purposes of NCSS, Statement relating to professional interests of NCSS)
- How effective is the purpose of the resolution articulated?
- Is the resolution clearly and concisely worded?
- Does the resolution follow the appropriate format?
Change the structure of NCSS, for example:
- Does the resolution contain actions that are prohibited?
- Bind NCSS to spend money?
- Is the resolution thoughtful and purposeful?
- Does the resolution connect and extend the current goals of NCSS as outlined in the strategic plan? If so, how?
- Has this or a similar resolution been considered before?
Reference NCSS Resolutions and Voting Results: http://leaders.ncss.org/HouseofDelegates/NCSSResolutions
- Does the resolution represent the interests of my state or special interest group?
Resolution Template: Resolutions_Template.doc
Examples of Well and Poorly Written Resolutions:
Resolutions Dissected with explanations of the different parts of the resolution