Expectations of NCSS Leadership
The following agreement has been developed as a guide for elected officers, members of the Board of Directors, executive staff, committee and community chairs, and other group leaders of the National Council for the Social Studies.
- We will arrive at meetings prepared and ready to work.
- We will use the NCSS strategic plan to guide our decision-making.
- We will be open, direct, and truthful with our ideas and opinions.
- When confronted with opposing views, we will listen without becoming offended or defensive.
- We will agree to disagree on some subjects without personalizing the issue.
- We will base our decisions on factual information and logical analysis.
- We will use time efficiently as we work collaboratively to resolve issues.
- While pursuing our own goals for NCSS, we will do so in a manner consistent with the broader needs and goals of the Council.
- We will be open to change and innovation for the betterment of the Council.
- We will be aware of how our decisions may affect others and consult with each other on who might be affected before taking any significant action.
- We will respect confidentiality when dealing with sensitive issues, discussions, and situations.
- We will consider relevant trends, possible threats, and potential opportunities as envision the Council\x92s future.
- We will follow through on responsibilities and commitments.
- We will be aware and respectful of our different roles and responsibilities.
- We will not take individual action on behalf of NCSS without direction from the Board, elected officers, or staff.
- We will support programs and policies when implemented regardless of personal feelings.
- We will promote a positive and productive climate as we work together.
- We will conduct ourselves professionally at all times.
NCSS Board of Directors